[MLton] new TextIO
Wed, 14 Jan 2004 17:17:40 -0600
I tested out a mod on January 5th and it sped things up by 17%. Are you
talking about that or the new experimental MLton (2004-01-06) with the single
test in the common case? I didn't do that but I will do so now ...
I just tried it and it seems to have made no difference compared to the
change I tested on January 5th.
As a comparison, I just tried the tweaked and an indentical thing where each
call to getchar and putchar called a C function which then did the inlined
getchar/putchar. Here are the timings:
new MLton 15.385 seconds
fast C 9.000 seconds
slow C 19.770 seconds
I claim (weakly) that this argues that it is the function call that has to be
eliminated from MLton for the common input1/output1 case.
I haven't looked at the new one-test source yet, but that probably makes it
easier to arrange for the inliner to not inline the uncommon case by just
puting that code in a function and then calling the function many times from
other places in an un-taken branch of a top-level if. I looked at doing this
before this final mod, but the code was a bit too spread out.