[MLton] Win32 Spawn's Seem Broken

Brent Fulgham bfulg@pacbell.net
Wed, 21 Jul 2004 15:56:09 -0700 (PDT)

--- Stephen Weeks <sweeks@sweeks.com> wrote:
> > 1.  Modify spawnp/spawne to use "NON_BLOCK" so
> that it
> > returns a PID, rather than a return code?
>
> As Matthew said, this is the way to go, but you only
> need to have it
> take effect for the MinGW world.

Okay -- that's what I did.  I think you are correct
that this is a Mingwin difference.

Here's where I am with respect to the Mingwin stuff:

* I have a working compiler that can properly build a
single SML file into an executable, which can be run
from a DOS command line.

* I wrote a simple BAT file that invokes MLton (in a
similar, but not totally equivalent) fashion to the
Bash front-end.  It needs work, probably by someone
well-versed in BAT scripting (which I am not).

* I can compile SML from a standard DOS command line.

Remaining problems:

1.  I cannot build *.cm files (due to Path exceptions
caused by improper handling of DOS paths).

2.  I'm not convinced that Sockets are working right.

But it looks pretty close.  Maybe a savvy Win32
programmer could have a look at it next week some
time, once I've had a chance to clean up the sources
and post a diff.

-Brent