[MLton] MLton experimental release 20041018

Stephen Weeks MLton@mlton.org
Mon, 18 Oct 2004 20:35:12 -0700

We are pleased to announce the availability of an experimental release
of MLton, version 20041018.

	http://www.mlton.org/experimental/

This release is in anticipation of a public release to be made in
several weeks time.  We would appreciate any feedback you can provide
on this experimental release, so that we can make our public release
as complete and as stable as possible.

This release has a number of improvements, including the following.

  + New platforms.
    o x86: FreeBSD 5.x, OpenBSD
    o PowerPC: Darwin (MacOS X)
  + Support for ML Basis files, a new mechanism supporting programming
    in the very large, separate delivery of library sources, and more.
  + Support for dynamic libraries.
  + Support for Concurrent ML (CML).
  + New structures: Int2, Int3, ..., Int31 and Word2, Word3, ..., Word31.
  + A new form of profiling with -profile count, which can be used to
    test code coverage.
  + A bytecode generator, available via -codegen bytecode.
  + A number of representation improvements.

Please try out the experimental release and let us know what you
think.  Thanks!

-- The MLton Team