[MLton] Multicore CPU's and MLton

Jens Axel Søgaard jensaxel@soegaard.net
Thu, 07 Jul 2005 01:17:32 +0200

Stephen Weeks wrote:
>>In Erlang (http://www.erlang.org), parallelism is modeled as
>>separate processes communicating through message passing.  While
>>message passing is obviously not as cheap as shared memory, it has
>>the advantage of completely isolating separate threads of execution
>>such that failure in one does not cause failure in another.
>
> I don't know enough about the Erlang implementation.  I wonder if they
> support concurrent threads.  They're surely not using an OS process
> for each thread.

The new version of Feeley's Gambit (Scheme-to-C compiler) focuses on
making Erlang style threads effecitive (perhaps this was inspired
by Feeley's Erlang-to-Scheme compiler Etos?). As far as I understand
the only way to make process fast and process size small is to
implement your own thread switching in the runtime.

<http://groups-beta.google.com/group/comp.lang.scheme/browse_frm/thread/dc39ed52edf94971/038483b73cabda24>
     <http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/~gambit/doc/gambit-c_11.html#SEC44>

--
Jens Axel Søgaard