[MLton] Multicore CPU's and MLton

Stephen Weeks MLton@mlton.org
Wed, 6 Jul 2005 16:40:54 -0700

> The new version of Feeley's Gambit (Scheme-to-C compiler) focuses on
> making Erlang style threads effecitive
> <http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/~gambit/doc/gambit-c_11.html#SEC44>

Thanks for the link.  At the very top it says:

  Gambit supports the execution of multiple Scheme threads. These
  threads are managed entirely by Gambit's runtime and are not related
  to the host operating system's threads. Gambit's runtime does not
  currently take advantage of multiprocessors (i.e. at most one thread
  is running).

So Gambit's approach is surely pretty similar to what MLton (and other
systems) do.  I.E. Gambit supports multiple threads, but not
concurrent threads.