[MLton] new SML project?

Buday Gergely István gergely.buday@siemens.com
Wed, 22 Jun 2005 10:22:50 +0200

------_=_NextPart_001_01C57703.945A7B9F

Stephen Weeks wrote:

> I wonder if we might be able
> to find a project of broad enough interest to people that we could
> start development of a new (non-compiler!) piece of software written
> in SML, which naturally would need libraries.  The software should
> have the following properties:
>
>  * new (not a copy of some existing software)
>  * useful (people not in the SML world would want it)
>  * nontrivial (not just a few man-weeks work)
>  * compelling (to the people on this list, who will build it)

Though this may not fulfill the first property, I would think of a version
control system that is suitable for linux kernel developers. They are using
some hand-made scripts but I guess we could build something better. This is
really a niche market but has some advertising power in the open source
world. Of course one should avoid cloning bitkeeper if we decide to do this.
It would be a decision to be made whether we want an integrated bugtracker.

What is for the libraries: I could imagine a library providing basic version
controlling primitives (like rcs is for cvs) and different front-ends for
different demands.

- Gergely

------_=_NextPart_001_01C57703.945A7B9F

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
5.5.2658.24">
<TITLE>RE: [MLton] new SML project?</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Stephen Weeks wrote:</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; I wonder if we might be able</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; to find a project of broad enough interest to =
people that we could</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; start development of a new (non-compiler!) =
piece of software written</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; in SML, which naturally would need =
libraries.&nbsp; The software should</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; have the following properties:</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt;&nbsp; * new (not a copy of some existing =
software)</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt;&nbsp; * useful (people not in the SML world =
would want it)</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt;&nbsp; * nontrivial (not just a few man-weeks =
work)</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt;&nbsp; * compelling (to the people on this list, =
who will build it)</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Though this may not fulfill the first property, I =
would think of a version control system that is suitable for linux =
kernel developers. They are using some hand-made scripts but I guess we =
could build something better. This is really a niche market but has =
some advertising power in the open source world. Of course one should =
avoid cloning bitkeeper if we decide to do this. It would be a decision =
to be made whether we want an integrated bugtracker.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>What is for the libraries: I could imagine a library =
providing basic version controlling primitives (like rcs is for cvs) =
and different front-ends for different demands.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>- Gergely</FONT>
</P>

</BODY>
</HTML>